As organized people, we often like to put a price on everything. When possible, we want to be able to budget everything out to the penny, so we can know exactly how much money we should allocate to other business expenses like rent, paying employees, taxes, developing products, insurance, marketing, and more. While defining a precise budget is a great idea for a lot of reasons, it’s also a bit difficult when it comes to pricing out a website. Here are some reasons why it’s difficult to say exactly how much it costs to build a website and what you can do about it.
1. Websites have a variety of potential features
Since websites aren’t standard across the board, it’s difficult for any website developer to offer a strict quote. For example, someone who wants a simple landing page designed wouldn’t need to pay nearly as much as a large business that needs a complex website with separate logins for each of their customers. While these examples represent two extremes, it gives a good idea of how much variation exists when it comes to website design.
2. Websites have different starting points
A lot of the time, different people are in different positions when it comes to requesting web design from a company. For example, a web designer will consider all of the following potential questions before giving you a quote:
- Are you looking for a quick redesign or a brand new site?
- Do you have content, or will content creation be part of the package?
- Will you be looking for SEO services in addition to web design?
- Do you need a blog with your website?
- Do you have graphics created, or will you need help from a graphic designer?
- Are you interested in any multimedia?
- Will you need help maintaining the site, or will you handle that on your own?
Each of these factors will play a role in how much it could potentially cost to build a website.
3. Building a website requires help from more than one person
Websites should be viewed as a service rather than a product because of everything that goes into building a website. For example, you will need to find the following services in order to get your website off the ground:
- Domain name
- Web hosting service
- Site planning, site design, and site development
- Site maintenance
- Search engine optimization services
- Other marketing services
As you can see, a lot goes into getting a website up and running and you often will consult with different companies for each step in the process. The price of each of these services varies from company to company.
What to do about it?
Because of each of the factors listed above, it’s nearly impossible to put an exact number on how much it would cost to build a website. So, how do you go about planning your expenses? The best thing to do is gather an idea of what you want included in your website, and then call an Internet marketing company like AAA Online Savings that offers business marketing business marketing services. Once you have a designer on the phone, discuss the details of your website thoroughly. After you have discussed the details of your website with a marketing consulting, consider having a budget range based on the quote they give you. That will give you a little room to work with in case you decide you want to add any other features to your website.